Meebo Bar

Sunday, 31 July 2011

men’s health/shape night run 2011

An evening race is never a favourite in my running CV. My only evening race prior to this one was the ill-fated Energizer Night Run 2011 in Sepang. It was a disaster, albeit the fact that it was supposed to be my first Full Marathon. That night was probably the longest and my loneliest run ever! Sick smile

This year’s event was held in Putrajaya, like the previous years. I did quite a number of night runs in Putrajaya before and clocked a substantial amount of mileage along the way. There were Irwan’s Putrajaya Twilight Challenge, and RBU’s LSD Series which I took part in. There was also the NB15 in June, but that was held in the morning.

What made this race more challenging was when the organizers decided to limit the medals to 200 pieces only for my category, Men’s Open. At least that’s better than the 75 they offered last year! Surprised smile

Before the run I had a relief knowing that the water stations are located 3 km apart of each other, banishing the memories of last weekend’s Seremban Half. Target was simple, nick that top 200 placing, and the medal would be mine. To do that, I had to be very mindful of the time I wished to achieve at the finishing line. Going below 1 hour for a 12.3 km distance would be a bit too daunting for me, well at least for now Winking smile. So I decided maybe a sub-1:10 would do the job for me. All I had to do was to keep my pace around 5:20 – 5:30 per km throughout the whole race.

283163_10150250086980382_591515381_7750464_6324196_nThe mood before the event started Open-mouthed smile 

We were gunned off at 8:20 pm. Yimster gave a timely advice in Seremban, that I should keep to my own pace during a race. Yes that temptation to go fast will always be there, especially in the beginning, but you would regret the consequences during the later part of the race, if you could not sustain. So I did exactly that. Running at my own pace, while keeping it within the intended range. 1:07:27 hours later, fighting the so hot and so humid weather, I crossed the finishing arch. To my relief, I was among the top 200 runners, 186th (phew!), and am eligible for the coveted medal. YEAY! Open-mouthed smile

IMG-20110731-00494 IMG-20110731-00496

Overall the race was okay. Route was a familiar one, so not so much of a problem to tackle it. Inclines at PICC, flat on the others. It however did not help ease my discomfort running an evening race. I still hate it. Nyah-Nyah

The only thing that bothered me was that the event organization could have been better, at least at par with the publicity that came with it. Though water stations were aplenty, I did not think serving plain water, instead of isotonic was a wise thing to do. At least one of those stations should serve Gatorade, since they were one of the sponsors. The stations were also under-manned. The last thing a runner would expect is to wait for the cups to be filled when they reach a water-station. The disorganization at Gatorade’s booth at the after finishing was also uncalled for. The number of volunteers was inadequate for the size of the event. Maybe these are some of the lessons learnt that should go into the organizers’ sleeves, so that next year the event will be better organized. Kudos though, apart from that, the event was smooth, and I think the goodies bag really lived up to the expectations. Smile with tongue out

P/s: To Azu, no worries on the non-medal, there are other races coming. Every race has its own story remember. Winking smile

224472_10150267144694410_732369409_7465718_3449660_n

With Mazu (L), 1st event (kan?) and Moon (R), 2nd event. 27 minutes 5 km, not bad! Congratulations both! Smile

3 comments:

  1. Eheheh love the pics. And congrats! U r definitely 1 of many that truly inspired me to start running... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. jurnalari ! nice blog name :) nice to see u at Shape Run. :)selamat berpuasa !


    p.s. sedar tak i overtook u the last 2km ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. julz!!hahaha..i perasan u potong i..hins2!pose lari tak? :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...